JOB TITLE: Tax Site Coordinator
Job Status: Part-time, seasonal, non-exempt
Reports to: Tax Program Manager
Positions Supervised:6-25 staff and volunteers
Position Summary: Just Harvest is seeking skilled and committed professionals to coordinate free tax preparation services at one of our tax site locations (South Side, Monroeville, Hill District or Baldwin). The tax site coordinator will ensure that we provide high-quality free tax help to low-income workers and elderly taxpayers who cannot afford paid professional assistance.
• Complete new staff training and site coordinator trainings.
• Successfully pass IRS Advanced certification exam for VITA sites
• Work with volunteer coordinator to set preparer schedule and make schedule adjustments as necessary.
• Set up appointment schedule software and tax preparation software (TaxSlayer) in advance of tax season.
• Manage overall site operations including appointment schedule, workflow and supplies.
• Establish welcoming and positive environment for taxpayers and volunteers. Build relationships with volunteers and encourage questions and teamwork.
• Supervise volunteer tax preparers and staff tax return reviewers and assist them with complex tax returns or difficult taxpayers. Provide feedback to preparers regarding errors made on returns.
• Address any conflicts that arise and diffuse tense situations.
• Maintain good relationship with host site and address any facility or security concerns with them.
• Communicate with preparers throughout season to make schedule adjustments or address concerns. Send tax law updates from IRS and other partners to preparers.
• Thoroughly review returns completed by tax preparers, make any required corrections and discuss tax return with clients.
• Transmit returns to the IRS and follow-up with taxpayers over the phone if their return is rejected.
• Ensure all returns are completed and accepted by IRS and PA.
• Address problems with tax software or other equipment as necessary.
• Ensure a copy of completed return is provided to the taxpayer and correct documentation is maintained at site.
• Maintain accurate records of assistance provided and provide data reports to Just Harvest weekly.
• Follow-up with clients who have not completed their returns.
• Monitor site to ensure taxpayers are being treated with respect and confidentiality is maintained.
• Ensure all IRS VITA Quality Site Requirements are met.
Just Harvest strongly values diverse relevant life experiences that may substitute for any or all of these specific qualifications. We succeed in our mission better when our workforce reflects the communities we serve. We welcome applications from candidates who may lack formal credentials and invite you to tell us about your unique qualifications. If you are passionate about our mission and think that you have the skills to contribute to our success, we want to hear from you!
- Tax preparation experience, preferably with low-income workers
- Experience e-filing and using tax preparation software
- Experience supervising staff and volunteers
- Strong organizational and program management skills
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with a wide range of people
- Strong interest in helping low-income people learn about their rights
- Ability to take initiative and work without much supervision
- Commitment to anti-hunger/anti-poverty mission
- Prefer persons who can work with us for multiple tax seasons.
Compensation: $18.00/hour. A temporary employee is not entitled to JH benefits except those required by law.
Location: South Side, CCAC Boyce Campus in Monroeville, SHIM Family Center in Baldwin and/or Bedford Hope Center in the Hill District.
Hours: Applicants must be available at least 20 hours per week during the tax season. This is a 20-40 hour per week seasonal position. Site set-up and training responsibilities begin in mid-November. Tax Sites are open mid-January through mid-April.
Training: Paid, mandatory training is held in November and December.
Working Conditions: Small office setting with limited resources; primarily sedentary work requiring ten pounds or less of exerted force; computer usage that requires repetitive motions. Remote work may be required during the 2022 tax season.
Electronic submission is preferred. Send substantive cover letter describing your interest in the position, preferred location(s) and hours you are available, resume, and professional references as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Tax Site Coordinator Application” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but no later than November 15, 2021. No phone calls, please.
Note: Other current job announcements at Just Harvest are listed at www.justharvest.org/jobs. To apply for more than one position simultaneously, list each job title in the subject line of your submission.
Just Harvest is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity of all kinds. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity. It is our policy to ensure that all individuals are treated equally without regard to race, age, color, disability, gender or gender identity/expression, marital status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, and that all are given every opportunity to succeed.