JOB TITLE: Tax Return Reviewer
Job Status: Part-time, temporary, non-exempt
Reports to: Tax Site Coordinator and Tax Program Manager
Positions Supervised: None
Position Summary: Just Harvest is seeking skilled and committed professionals to review income tax returns completed by volunteers and staff to ensure that we provide high-quality free tax help to low-income workers and elderly taxpayers who cannot afford paid professional assistance.
- Attend new staff training and reviewer trainings.
- Successfully pass IRS Advanced certification exam on required tax law knowledge.
- Supervise volunteer and paid tax preparers and assist them with complex tax returns. Provide feedback to preparers regarding errors made on returns.
- Thoroughly review returns completed by tax preparer staff and volunteers. Make any required corrections and discuss tax return with taxpayers.
- Directly prepare taxpayers’ federal, state and local tax returns based on information provided by taxpayer and answer tax-related questions as necessary.
- Address problems with tax software or other equipment as necessary.
- Ensure a copy of completed return is provided to the taxpayer and correct documentation is maintained at the site.
- Maintain accurate records of assistance provided.
- Follow up with clients who have not completed their returns.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality policy. Treat all taxpayers with respect and professionalism.
- Provide information about other programs, such as food stamps, that taxpayers may be able to utilize.
Just Harvest strongly values diverse relevant life experiences that may substitute for any or all of these specific qualifications. We succeed in our mission better when our workforce reflects the communities we serve. We welcome applications from candidates who may lack formal credentials and invite you to tell us about your unique qualifications. If you are passionate about our mission and think that you have the skills to contribute to our success, we want to hear from you!
- Tax preparation experience, preferably with low-income workers
- Experience using tax preparation software
- Experience working with volunteers
- Good interpersonal skills and comfort with a wide range of people
- Strong interest in helping low-income people learn about their rights
- Ability to take initiative and work without much supervision
- Commitment to anti-hunger/anti-poverty mission
- Prefer persons who can work with us for multiple tax seasons
Compensation: $17.00/hour. A temporary employee is not entitled to JH benefits except those required by law.
Location: Just Harvest’s South Side office, CCAC Boyce Campus in Monroeville, Bedford Hope Center in Hill District and/or SHIM Family Center in Baldwin. Remote work may be necessary during the 2022 tax season.
Hours: Applicants must be available at least 15 hours per week during the tax season. Tax sites are open weekdays, evenings, and Saturdays. This is a part-time, seasonal position.
Training: Paid, mandatory training is held in December and early January.
Working Conditions: Small office setting with limited resources; primarily sedentary work requiring ten pounds or less of exerted force; computer usage that requires repetitive motions.
Electronic submissions only. Send substantive cover letter describing your interest in the position, preferred location and hours you are available, resume, and professional references as attachments (in Word or PDF formats) to email@example.com with “Tax Return Reviewer Application” in subject line. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled, but no later than November 30, 2021. No phone calls, please.