Communications and Education Internship
Hunger impacts 1 in 7 residents of Allegheny County. Educating and engaging the broader community enables Just Harvest to more effectively combat hunger and poverty in our region.
Just Harvest is seeking a dedicated volunteer to assist with communications, outreach and education. The intern will:
- Assist with the coordination and facilitation of poverty simulations.
- Work with outreach volunteers to distribute materials about Just Harvest services.
- Coordinate with staff and volunteers tabling at community events and resource fairs.
- Contact organizations, schools, and places of worship about distributing materials, hosting a speaker, and/or coordinating services.
- Encourage community members to participate in Just Harvest’s community meetings and advocacy campaigns.
- Assist with fundraising events.
- Monitor our social media presence and benchmark that of our allies
- Stay abreast of news, developments, and best practices in the realm of social media
- Investigate Just Harvest’s use of other social media platforms, such as LinkedIn, Instagram, Google +, etc.
- Help develop a social media strategy, including analytics and metrics to measure our social media progress as well as any necessary course corrections
- Create posts for Facebook and Twitter based on the interests and activity of the organization, our various campaigns, and those of our allies
- Familiarity with social media best practices
- Familiarity with Photoshop or other image editing software or apps
- A passion for economic justice
- An ability to remain nonpartisan and professional in a public forum
- Strong writing skills
- Strong computer skills
- A background in branding, marketing, promotions, and/or communications is preferred.
- Comfort in talking to a wide variety of groups
- Must provide their own transportation to events around Allegheny County.
Time commitment: We are seeking interns for weekday hours (9am-6pm) who can commit to 10 hours each week for a minimum of 12 weeks.
To apply: Email your resume to Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org.