Client perspectives and participation are a key component to the effectiveness of our advocacy efforts. The Organizing and Engagement Intern will create opportunities for food stamp and tax clients to share their experiences and voice their concerns about public safety-net programs.
- Compassionately interview clients for our story bank, and develop relationships with them.
- Conduct follow-up calls with SNAP clients and become knowledgeable about the SNAP program and barriers to benefits.
- Draft one-page policy summaries, letters-to-the-editor, petitions, and other media.
- Participate in and help facilitate our monthly Action Against Hunger Council meetings.
- Participate in meetings with partner organizations.
- Work with volunteers to distribute and collect signatures for petitions, sign-on letters.
- Encourage clients who want to draft letters to the editor.
- Schedule and participate in meetings with legislators and administrative officials.
- Invite clients and Just Harvest members to meetings with legislators and administrative officials.
- Help clients register to vote.
- Work with volunteers on pledge to vote and voter registration drives.
- Work with volunteers on get-out-the-vote and issue based phone-banks.
Time Commitment: We are seeking interns who can commit to a minimum of 10 hours per week for a 10 week period.
- Empathy towards financially struggling households
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
Training: is provided on a one-on-one basis.
To apply: Email your resume to Amanda Fry at firstname.lastname@example.org.